Wednesday, November 8, 2017

#DearDiabetes: LaShawn McIver

Dear Diabetes,

I will never forget the day I was introduced to you. I met you through a friend of the family and then later found out you already knew several members of my family. At first, I thought you and I would become close friends too, until I realized your relationship came at a price. You have burnt so many bridges over the years with the havoc you have caused my family and friends. Blindness, kidney failure, stroke, amputations, heart disease, discrimination, you name it!

So, I made a decision…it stops with me. I am severing all ties with you as of today. I am focusing on doing the things in my power to stop you and am reversing the trend in my family. I am choosing to eat healthier. I know you run in my family, but I plan to outrun you by becoming more fit. I am going to advocate to ensure the lawmakers in our country know exactly who you are, what you are capable of and how THEY can help stop you.

So, I know this may be a tough pill to swallow, but it’s over. Please don’t try to contact me because I won’t be answering.

I choose life. I choose family. I choose good health.

Sincerely yours,
LaShawn McIver, MD, MPH
SVP, Government Affairs & Advocacy, American Diabetes Association



From: American Diabetes Association http://diabetesstopshere.org/2017/11/08/deardiabetes-lashawn-mciver/

No comments:

Post a Comment